Original Research

Grey’s Hospital, Pietermaritzburg 1855 - 1985

Jennifer G Duckworth
Curationis | Vol 8, No 3 | a593 | DOI: https://doi.org/10.4102/curationis.v8i3.593 | © 1985 Jennifer G Duckworth | This work is licensed under CC Attribution 4.0
Submitted: 27 September 1985 | Published: 27 September 1985

About the author(s)

Jennifer G Duckworth,, South Africa

Full Text:

PDF (238KB)

Share this article

Bookmark and Share

Abstract

The first matron of Grey’s Hospital, Mrs Isabella O ’Hara, was appointed in October 1855 and she presided over a temporary hospital which was established in a house until such time as the hospital building should be ready. The patients were mainly lunatics and destitute people who had until then been accommodated in a room at the goal. The sick were usually cared for in their homes.

Keywords

No related keywords in the metadata.

Metrics

Total abstract views: 1287
Total article views: 5738


Crossref Citations

No related citations found.